Posted to misc.consumers.house
Nick Nick is offline

Default Maytag Washing machine tearing clothes

Our dryer wasn't replaced at the same time and is about 12 years old
so that's not the issue. As the tearing of the clothes started
ocurring after we purchased the washing machine

Maytag has a 2 year warranty on parts but they want $150 just to get
the repair person to look at the problem so what good is this when you
can buy a new washing machine for $300?

I ran a test with a stocking and the agitator looks ok. One thing I
did notice that underneath the base there is a small gap of about 1/2"
between the tub and agitator. The molding seems very rough underneath
that part, if clothes were stuck it could tear them there. This might
be the problem.

I'll need to check out the local stores and see if I can find the same
exact model and see if those ridges are the same, if not then I think
I've found the problem.

Nick

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 02:32:16 GMT, "HiTech RedNeck"
wrote:

"jaygreg" wrote in message
.. .

There is a defect in either the agitator iteself or the tub. Your clothes
are coming in contact with a burr on one of these two parts. The

suggestion
of carefullly wiping over the surface with a piece of fine nylon

(stocking)
is a good way to find the area. Do it again. It's there somewhere. You

have
the clothes to prove it. You simply haven't found the exact source of the
problem yet. Keep looking.

Nick should also notice whether the tears are first appearing upon taking
the items out of the washer. It might be a burr, not in the washer, but in
the dryer.