Posted to alt.home.repair
nyc kid nyc kid is offline

Default Bats in eaves

"Joe Casey" wrote in message
I have bats living in the eaves of my home during the summer months.
I want to get rid of them, and want to know if they stay there in the
winter, or hibernate to caves. I am interested in blocking off their
enterance/exit, and I dont want to kill them. I live in a residential
area of northeast Pennsylvania, and I do not know what kind of bats they
are.

Thanks,

Joe

Bats often winter where they summer. Removing bats is known as 'exclusion'.
It is important to do this as they are kown to carry rabies. A buildup of
dead animals, urine amd excrement in your wall and ceilings voids, is
obviously undesirable.
Google 'bat exclusion' and see sites like http://batcon.org/ as they will
help you with info on diy and finding service providers in your area.

I just placed 3 bat houses on my house in ME according to info I found here
http://www.batworld.org/bcs/bat_houses.html. The bats were in the attic as
long as I can remember, but now it is time for them to go. Major cleanup
coming in the spring. We always used the 'bat-minton racquet' when one
found it's way into the house (they can't 'see' it coming)...