Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Stootzmann Jay Stootzmann is offline

Default Why does my hot water heater have a blower on top of it?

The power vent also prevents back draft which is common in some of the newer
tightly constructed houses. the old style type furnaces are a safety hazard
in new construction so count yourself lucky.

"46erjoe" wrote in message
The home I recently bought has a hot water heater that is different
from any I've ever seen before. There is a fan blower on the top of
it, so that every time the hot water heater kicks on, so does the
blower. Seems odd to me. Hot air rises. But I do notice that the
exhaust is out the side of the house about rather than through the
roof. Is that why? Thanks.