Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Why does my hot water heater have a blower on top of it?

46erjoe wrote:
The home I recently bought has a hot water heater that is different
from any I've ever seen before. There is a fan blower on the top of
it, so that every time the hot water heater kicks on, so does the
blower. Seems odd to me. Hot air rises. But I do notice that the
exhaust is out the side of the house about rather than through the
roof. Is that why? Thanks.

I presume it's a gas fired high efficiency water heater.

As you pointed out, hot air rises, but since the exhaust "pipe" can run
sideways for quite a distance in some installations a fan is needed to
push the combustion products outside.

Capice?

Jeff
--