Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Tiling a table top

plasma800 wrote:
The table does have some flex to it when you push on it. It's 8' long
by 29 11/16" wide. The top is made of partical board.

It will be sitting out outside. If the table dies after a season or
two, I don't know that I would die.

You are underestimating the amount of work involved and the amount of
ego that will be invested in such a project. If it died after a season
or two, you could very well be psychically scarred.

I was planning on mailing backerboard to the outside edges and using
bullnose tile or cut peices for the sides.

I also considered just framing the aoutside edges with some 2x4 or
something of the sort. Still in planning.

So far it seems that a plywood topper is going to be a great idea for
both rigidity and bite.

Retrofitting an inappropriate piece, with bad bones to start, in an
attempt to make it a propriate piece, is a bit daft.

Start fresh. If you have the ability to cut plywood, tile and backer
board, you have the ability to make a new table. Buy some treated
plywood, frame with treated 2x material, thinset/screw backerboard to
the plywood and have at the tile. Save the legs if they are worth
salvaging.