Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default "Federal Pacific" Breaker box

" wrote:

I have a 200-amp capable "Federal pacific" breaker box in my 44 year
old home. I've been told by a home inspector that the box is
unreliable and the breakers "can occasionally no-trip and could
potentially cause a fire" This, obviously, scares me.

The breakers aren't the cheapest or super-easy to find, but I haven't
had to replace any in the year or so I've lived in this house, the unit
seems reliable. Also, the breakers have tripped a few times as the
circuits have around 8-10 receptacles on a few runs in some cases.

I'm considering doing some remodeling, including the addition of can
lights (about 20 of them) and a few receptacles...all on new runs as
the breaker box isn't much more than half full.

Should I consider replacing the service panel and breakers to a current
model like a Square D as part of this remodel? After all, it doesn't
make much sense remodel a house that's going to just burn to the ground
anyway.

I'd strongly recommend replacing the FPE incendiary device. I replaced
the one in my house with a good Square D QO series 40 space panel and
sleep much better at night. I had heard all the bad things about FPE
before and had replacement high on my to do list anyway, but it wasn't
until I started tearing the old POS apart that I realized what a POS it
really was. As an additional note, since the FPE panels are pretty old,
replacing them may get you an insurance discount if your insurance
company charges more for 30+yr old electrical.

Pete C.