Posted to alt.home.repair
DAC DAC is offline

Default lift cable came off garage door, how do I rewind the cables back o the two end pullys?

Ya know I used to think that anyone could fix garage doors and truely
thought it wasn't that big a deal. HOWEVER yesterday I went over to
the neighbors house, and helped him with his door...and was pretty
shocked to see a huge gash in the ceiling.

Well being of the curious type...I asked what happened...and he said
the cable came off the garage door. After talking with him more, I
found out removed the bottom roller bracket while it was under tension.
You guessed it...all hell broke loose and the ceiling now has a hole
in it. Man I would of hated to have been there when that happened.

I used to advocate to anyone to fix their own...no more. DAGS and
determine if you have the skills necessary. Look for your model's
owners manual, if you can't fine it, look for one that in the same
family and you can determine if you have the skills necessary to re-set
the door. By the way...no you don't just push the door up and end up
with a working door.

Seriously I wish you the best, and for gods sake please be careful.

DAC

On Nov 6, 11:31 pm, "kell" wrote:
I have no experience with torsion bar on my garage door. My other house
had lift springs which was pretty eaisy to fix. My wife backed out of
the garage and pushed the door in and the cable came off. What a loud
noise that was. the cables wraped around the end pullys, no tension
now.!! My question is how do i reset the tention, lift the door up all
the way to re wrap the cable around the end pullys? What is the best
way to do this, The garage door is 8ft wide 7ft high. any advise would
be great. Thanks Kell