Posted to alt.home.repair
Nexus7 Nexus7 is offline

Default Cap for plumbing stack

RicodJour wrote:
Nexus7 wrote:
The plumbing stack sticks out 2' from my roof. It is a 4" iron pipe (OD
is 4.66"). That's all there is, just the pipe sticking out. What kind
of cap, if any, is appropriate for it? I can get a cap that is made for

You don't need a cap unless you're having problems. Are you having
problems?

No problems (that I know of, anyway). I was thinking along the lines of
the furnace chimney, that got a new liner and a nice cap. They didn't
find any dead things in there either. However, as mentioned in this
thread, there is a possibility of a rodent or bird finding it's way in
there, and I get my neighbor's huge tree shedding its autumn glory on
my roof and yard, so something could get in there. Plus the snow which
I will pay to melt. Not a biggie, but if it doesn't hurt anything, I'd
rather have it capped.

Also, as mentioned in the thread, I thought of window screen mesh, but
I think the snow would block it off then.

Most of the stacks I've seen stick up about a foot. Is the 2' exposed
stack typical where you are?

I was up there today, and it is only about a foot. There was no
flashing around it either, so I used gutter caulk.