Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Andy is offline

Default neighbor built over my property line

Patches Forever wrote:
I have a fence that encircles my property and (I believe) it is built 6
inches inside of my property line. A few years ago one of my neighbors
poured a concrete walk right up against the fence, i.e. it is 6 inches over
the line. I never said anything because it doesn't cause me a problem,
however he is now going to sell his house

Andy writes:
If you want advice on this, I suggest you post to
misc.legal.moderated which has a lot of attorneys
that hang out there and regularly give advice on
things like this...

At the very least, you should send your neighbor
a registered letter before he sells it, saying that
you have no objection to his using part of your
property for his fence but reserve the right to
have him remove it, pending a valid survey, in the
future.

That should protect you in an adverse possession
claim, but, more important, will put your knowledge
of the encroachment on record......

That way you can tell the "new" owner that you
don't object, and that you sent a letter to to person who
sold it to him before the sale, , and the new owner will have the
old owner to bitch to......

But valid legal advice is not a bad idea at all...

Andy in Eureka

( not an attorney, nor related to one )