Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default How do I know if furnace thermocouple is bad?

mm wrote:

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 20:10:28 GMT, "
wrote:

Fuses rarely fail on their own, they are usually an indicator of a
problem elsewhere.

We had some warm weather over the weekend, so I turned the thermostat
off. I asked my son to turn it back on, and I noticed that the fan
switch was set to "On" instead of "Auto."

Would the blower running continuously for a day or two be reason
enough to blow the fuse?

Are we talking about a fuse in the main fuse box or somewhere else?

A fuse that is a glass cylinder 3/4" long and less than 1/4" in
diameter. Or one that screws into a socket almost as big as a
lightbulb socket?

What size failed? How many amps? What size have you been using since
you moved in. Replace the fuse with a 15 amp fuse, unless you know
for sure it was supposed to use bigger and had used bigger, and see
what happens.

I'm assuming from the reference to circuit breakers earlier and then
this reference to a "buss fuse" that he means a small glass 3AG or 5x20
fuse in the thermostat itself possibly located when removing the
thermostat from the sub base to check for control power. It would help
if he posted more complete details though.

Pete C.