Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default framing and plywood sheathing on houses

I've seen a lot of houses built where the framing does not fit the
foundation properly and there are large gaps between the siding and
foundation wall where bugs come in. Caulk them and you will be amazed how
well it keeps bugs out. But if you have synethetic stucco, it may have a
drainage system. Be sure not to caulk that up.

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
I'm ripping out all my drywall in my basement so that I can put up
insulation, run new wires, and then put on new drywall. After ripping the
drywall off with a crowbar I noticed that there were spiders amongus in
the framing which makes me wonder where they came from. I suspect they
got in between the sheathing and the framing studs as the plywood is
discolored in spots indicating weathering to me.

Can you reseal the connection between the plywood and the studs using
caulking or something similar or will that be an exercise in futility
given the rather large amounts of area to cover? Is it normal for there
to be gaps between that plywood and the studs and finding spiders in the
walls no big wonder?

Also, on a pleasant note. Originally my thought in tearing out the
drywall was so that I could inspect the sill plate as I noticed large gaps
between the sill plate and the foundation by the windows. After seeing
the sill plate behind the walls I notice that it is fairly embedded in the
concrete and painted with a grey substance I'm assuming is primer or
weather sealant. Which makes me wonder why the window area has such an
uneven connection.