Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Double Glazing

wrote:
I am due to move into a new house in a couple of weeks which has a
rotten front bay window which I will be looking to replace very soon.
I am wondering the cheapest way to replace this with double glazing
and was hopeing that someone may be able to give me some advice with
the following questions..

which tends to be cheaper, large national companies or local
tradesmen? is it better to measure and buy the wondows first then
just get someone in to fit them?
is it difficult to fit your own double glazing? and if so do you need
to meet any building regulations.

also if anyone has any idea approximatelly a bay window with the
following rough measurements would be to fit that would also be very
helpful:

large pane approx 1800 mm * 1500mm
2 * small panes 750 mm * 1500mm

thanks in advance for your help.

ring four or five local tradesmen for quotations, don't bother attempting to
measure the frames yourself, otherwise whatever goes wrong at a later date
is down to your poor measuring abilities....I would guestimate this bay
would cost no more than 2 grand (fitted) with K glass, depending on where
you are in the country.
You can fit them yorself but you then need to have them checked by BC and a
bay window is not a good place to start if you've never fited a window
before.