Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
kevin kevin is offline

Default Insulation under flat roofs

JFM wrote:
soffit area, above the walls, to the inside. I will insulate the
inside room area between the rafters. I will have vinyl soffit and
facia applied later, and the soffit, will, natrually, be vented.

The whole point of ventilating the soffits is to ventilate the attic,
and in particular, to keep the *underside* of the roof at the same
temperature as the outside air.

If you have an attic of any sort up there (i.e., a large-ish gap
between the inside finished ceiling and the roof sheathing), you want
all that air to be directly vented to the outside as much as possible.
The more the better. If there is no space (like my house, which has
cathedral ceilings and just a 6 inch gap between the drywall and the
roof sheathing), then you want to create a small, well ventilated air
gap between the insulation and the underside of the roof seathing.
There are styrofoam baffles available for this purpose, that create a
thin channel from the soffits right up each rafter cavity. There are
other similar baffles that just keep the insulation from closing off
the tight space where the roof meets the wall, so that air can pass
from the soffits into the attic space.

Look up attic ventilation for some nice images.

-Kevin