tomcas

Default Hardening and Tempering SAE 1045

I have two suggestions- Quickly submerge the part below the surface and
there will be no flame and always agitate the part or else bubbles will form
and the cooling rate may not be sufficient.

"A.Gent" wrote in message
u...

"Eide" wrote in message
Any oil will work. I have used peanut oil - left over from turkey fry -

it
has a high flash point. And I've used mineral oil, which is nice because

it
doesn't go rancid. Motor oil is just fine for a one off. It's pretty

smelly
though.

Can you put the motor oil in a container with a lid?

Drop the piece in, then sit the lid on (loosely). Won't the stop the

smoke and
the stink, but it smothers the flame nicely.

(Works for me)

Jeff