Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Radon Mediation

mzm wrote:
Pat wrote:
mzm wrote:
How effective is radon mediation when the house is testing at 9.7?

9.7 where. If that's in the basement, you might have success. It that
on the first floor, then wow.

Age of house plays a factor, too. Newer ones are tighter.

You don't happen to have a drainage system under your slab, do you?

Do you have a basement or a crawl space or what?

The test was done in a basement, if the sellers didn't move the
canister. I am really nervous about this especially because I have a
four year old, and we are making a choice to maybe move into this
house. The house is 18 years old, and yes it does have a drainage
system under the slab.

You need professional help :-))

If might be able to install a sub-soil abatement system. You
effectively venilate the subsoil. You hook up a pump and pump air into
the drainage field at various locations. Then you try to go to the
other side and suck out air. But you need a pretty good, rough stone
bed under the house. See if you can find someone who knows how to
handle it. Then you seal the basement walls, too. You also have to
examine your make-up air. If your dryer is on the first floor and you
turn it on, where is the air coming from. You don't want to draw up
basement air and bring that into the living space. Same for furnace
(esp. forced air), air conditioning, etc. etc.

You might also be able to ventilate the heck out of the basement and
just keep it from coming up. Might work in warmer climates but not in
colder ones.

If you can get a good abatement plan, you'll be fine. But it'll cost
money, so get an estimate before you buy. You'll need to talk to the
seller. That's the GOOD news.

The bad news is that radon comes from underground rock formations. If
you have it in one area, you'll probably have it in other areas that
are nearby. So if you want to live in that area, you'll have to deal
with it.

I don't want to be all gloom and doom. I just think you should examine
it before you decide. Professional help is available.
So, if you're not in love with the house and not willing to invest some
time (and maybe money) to see if this house is feasible, cut your
losses and move on. If you are, it makes sense to do your homework
BEFORE you buy.

Breathe deeply and put your emotions about homebuying aside, if you are
buying. Spend the time (and money) to get the reports and information
you need before you buy. If a report comes back bad, don't be afraid
to walk from a just because you've invested money in it. That's part
of the process. But if the reports are good, you know you're making a
good choice.