Eide

Default Hardening and Tempering SAE 1045

Any oil will work. I have used peanut oil - left over from turkey fry - it
has a high flash point. And I've used mineral oil, which is nice because it
doesn't go rancid. Motor oil is just fine for a one off. It's pretty smelly
though.

"Jay" wrote in message
Hello all

I would like to Harden and temper a tool I made out of 1045
steel. I have all the temperatures and holding times needed, but as
for a quenching medium, I have a slight problem.

An oil bath is better than water, but I dont have the proper oil. I
dont want to use motor oil, even though the part is submerged, I dont
want to explode.

I was thinking vegetable oil would do fine...

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jay