Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default Butler/belfast sink waste.

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 23:42:10 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 22:32:40 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 23:44:06 +0100, Ed Sirett wrote:

I am trying to install a genuine 1929 butler sink.

So far all I've been told is that a standard basket-plug sink waste will
fit. Well it nearly does, the bottom part will fit nicely but the top part
is just a bit too big. The diameter of the hole is about 70mm and it needs
to be about 80mm to accept the standard basket.

I've looked at several different makes of wastes and none will fit.

My backup plan (which is some chore) is to rig up the diamond core drill
and widen the hole in the ceramic to take the waste. I have a 65mm core
drill which I can rig up to to widen the hole in 4 'bites'.

Is there a special supplier of wastes for these?
Is it possible that the 'reproduction' version of these is a bit bigger so
as to take a standard basket-plug sink waste?

Dunno about genuine 1929 sinks but for the new ones I've installed I've
got 1 1/2" slotted wastes (grate & standard plug type) from somewhere like
Trollstation or BES

I'd have thought that in 1929 there was little standardisation and
that installations were done by craftsmen who largely made their own
fittings!

Update:
I obtained the 1.5" sink sized "basin" style waste. But it was nearly too
small underneath, use of plumbers' mait aka stay soft putty is compulsory.

After having tried a couple of times to get the fitting really centred and
found it leaked I adopted plan B.
I drilled out the centre hole of the slotted waste to 13mm. The unit being
a substantial chromed cast brass item could handle this abuse and there
was still a ring of metal joining the spokes (just). I then chopped about
30mm of the length of the waste. I then used the bits from the bottom half
of a basket-plug waste with its 13mm screw to hold the whole thing
together with mait and no washers. This got a result, looks ok and doesn't
leak.