Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Mike is offline

Default Hearing Protection?

Steve wrote:
Hi All,

I started looking at the electronic hearing protectors offered to hunters
and shooters- they mostly cost around $150 on up. Recently I notice stores
like Woodcraft are selling electronic muffs in the $30 range. Can anybody
tell me what the difference is for the more expensive units?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Steve

The $150 ear muffs usually have small microphones on each ear cup that
pickup sound and reproduce it thru a speaker in the cup. Normal sound
levels are passed straight thru, and some even amplify really quiet
sounds. Better models work in a "stereo" mode - where each ear has it's
own mic/speaker - so that you can tell where a sound is coming from.
When a loud noise is detected, the speaker shuts off, blocking the
sound. This type of hearing protection is nice because you can hear
what's going on around you, and you avoid the "clogged up" feeling you
get with ear plugs.

To choose what type of hearing protection will be best for you,
consider how you will use it. For example, do you want to put it on
when you enter your shop and leave it on, or do you want to grab it
before turning on a machine.

For me, a good bit of the time spent in the shop hearing protection is
not needed, so I use the less expensive, non-powered, ear muffs and
just put them on before turning on a loud machine.

Mike