Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Replacing 1 15 amp Receptacle With 1 20 Receptacle

What you are doing is wrong, and you can get good quality 15 amp outlets.
The cheap ones are residential grade. His espresso machine must draw more
than 10 amps or it would have a 15 amp plug on it. There are actually
certain codes to this stuff, it isn't just decided willy -nilly

wrote in message
ups.com...

ZZ wrote:
Hi There,

I'm confused on if I can replace an 15 amp receptacle with a 20 amp
receptacle. I want to be able to hook up a espresso machine in my kitchen
and the machine requires a 20amp circuit.

The particular circuit I want to change out has a 20 amp breaker coming
from
the box using a 14 gauge wire to, 1 15 amp GFI receptacle & 2 15 amp
receptacles in the kitchen.

Will I be able to switch out 1 of the 15 amp receptacles with a 20 amp
receptacle without causing a problem?

Thanks,
Dave

I have installed quite a few 20-amp receptacles in my house as
replacements for 15-amp receptacles over the years. In fact, whenever I
happen to replace a 15-amp receptacle, I usually use a 20-amp
receptacle. Not because I'm actually going to draw 20-amps out of that
socket, but simply because they are higher-quality outlets. It usually
only takes a few minutes to swap them out.

I doubt if your expresso machine actually draws 20 amps. It probably
draws less than 10 amps. A nice little gadget to have around the house
is the "Kill A Watt" meter. It will tell you how much current any
device with a plug is drawing. They are relatively inexpensive. Here's
an example website
http://www.fadfusion.com/selection.p...FQjqYAodamF2Gw

It sounds like your house has been wired incorrectly. It makes me
wonder if you might have the basis for a lawsuit.