Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Hearing Protection?

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi All,

I started looking at the electronic hearing protectors offered to hunters
and shooters- they mostly cost around $150 on up. Recently I notice
stores like Woodcraft are selling electronic muffs in the $30 range. Can
anybody tell me what the difference is for the more expensive units?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Some have a volume, frequency, and/or bandwidth adjustments, and may be
weatherized or have passed testing for military specification as well. Also
they may have been tuned for specific environments.

Something to be aware of with active noise reduction is that it is most
effective at low frequencies, which are for the most part not the ones that
damage hearing. Passive protection is more effective at high
frequencies--any hearing protector you get you want to have good passive
protection. A David Clark 10A passive earmuff, which is simple and basic
and effective and produced in huge volume, goes for about 30 bucks.
Anything that goes for that price and includes electronics would have me
wary of what corners have been cut.