Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default Brick wall and piers

Fred wrote:
I have a brick wall about to be rebuilt. It's about 5 - 6ft high and is
a 9" construction, rather wobbly on it's lowest course and hence
dangerous. It's about 8ft long and is a free standing construction
without piers. The builder has been instructed by the landlord to
reinstate the wall as it was without any piers.

I presume this doesn't follow good working practise. However are they any
guidelines published of what is and isn't good working practise?

With decent bricks and cement, and with no side loads, it should be fine.

Especially if he shoves in plenty of 'bow' ties.

Its different if its e.g. a retaining wall.

Many thanks. No it's not a retaining wall but I thought it should have had
14" piers at either end to ensure stability.