Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Andy is offline

Default Telephone Line Fault?

"John" wrote in message

"Andy" wrote in message
Before I contact BT I thought I'd ask if anyone has a similar problem to
me.
I have have had problems getting onto the internet before and only
repeated removing and replacing of the RJ45 connector from the modem
could get it working.

At first I thought it was a dodgy contact but all looks good and jiggling
it has no effect. I also replaced the modem line & connectors and tore
the laptop apart* and resoldered the modem socket.

However, someone told me the other day my number was giving out a 1575
message, when they should have got through. Also the dial tone is now a
high-low tone, that's if there is one at all, when it stops working I get
just hiss and crackle and replacing the receiver umpteen times doesn't
bring back the tone.

I've disconnected everything but a single phone from the network, and
still the weird tone. Any ideas, if not it's time to call BT I think.

* Only two screws left over, not bad for dismantling and reassembly of a
laptop.

Andy.

I think you mean a 1571 message, not 1575 although I may stand corrected
on that. 1571 is BTs Call Minder service (basically an answering service).
The "high-low" dialtone you're hearing is known as "interrupted" dial tone
and is the answering services way of telling you that you have a message
waiting to be answered.

Some modems have problems connecting when they "see" or "hear" the
interrupted dialtone. Clear your messages and you should be able to
connect OK.

John.

Aaaah, signed up for that option recently when I was cold-called by BT, no
idea how it worked, I'll see if I can clear the message and see how it goes,

cheers,

Andy.