Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP EricP is offline

Default Telephone Line Fault?

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 20:50:14 +0100, "Andy"
wrote:

Before I contact BT I thought I'd ask if anyone has a similar problem to me.
I have have had problems getting onto the internet before and only repeated
removing and replacing of the RJ45 connector from the modem could get it
working.

At first I thought it was a dodgy contact but all looks good and jiggling it
has no effect. I also replaced the modem line & connectors and tore the
laptop apart* and resoldered the modem socket.

However, someone told me the other day my number was giving out a 1575
message, when they should have got through. Also the dial tone is now a
high-low tone, that's if there is one at all, when it stops working I get
just hiss and crackle and replacing the receiver umpteen times doesn't bring
back the tone.

I've disconnected everything but a single phone from the network, and still
the weird tone. Any ideas, if not it's time to call BT I think.

* Only two screws left over, not bad for dismantling and reassembly of a
laptop.

Andy.

Before you contact BT, go have a look at external connections in any
boxes outside that you can get at. Look for bad connections in the
boxes.

Also when you contact BT, concentrate on the phone being duff, try to
avoid words like "internet". It seems to draw a veil of stupidity over
their minds.