Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default spot weed killer?

tenplay wrote:
I would like to zap weeds growing in the lawn and garden without
harming the grass and plants growing around the weeds. What is the
best way to do it? I saw something called a Weed Stick online, where
you supposedly walk around injecting any kind of concentrated weed
killer directly on the weed. Anyone try it? Would WD40 or gasoline
work using a direct applicator? It sounds like a lot of folks use
Roundup, but I find that it works too slow. It seems to take a
couple of days for the leaves to begin turning brown. Thanks for any
suggestions.

What weeds? What works for some weeds will not work for others. I
assume that it is a lawn and that you want to not kill the grass.

There are a number of general lawn weed killers that will not kill the
grass (assuming you don't really overdo it) but will kill many kinds of
weeds) Note: always read the label and make sure it is safe on the grass
you have.

WD-40 is a great Water Displacement, a poor lubricant and a very poor
week killer. Gasoline is good at fueling most cars and can kill almost any
living thing, including grass.

Roundup will kill weeds, but it also kills grass and almost anything
else it gets on.

My suggestion is to identify the type(s) of grass you have and the types
of weeds you want to kill. Then with that information you can read the
labels on the available products to select one. You could also contact your
local county extension service and they would be able to offer some unbiased
suggestions good for your local conditions.

Question: Why would it be so important that it work in less than a few
days? Often that is the best solution. You want to kill it all the way to
the root.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit