Posted to rec.woodworking
Rod & Betty Jo Rod & Betty Jo is offline

Default RAS blade wobble

"DCH" wrote in message
Greetings all...

I found an older Craftsman (1960's) radial arm saw a few days ago, for 40$
looked fine, cleaned up real nice, leveled the table, added a new fence,
it
runs fine until you cut with it, once the blade gets into the cut it seems
to wobble, making a kerf much wider than it should, the saw was made for a
9" blade but the guy had a 8" blade on it...I thought that might be an
issue, but thought I would see if anyone else has seen this before and
what
the possible causes and/or cures that are out there....

Thanks for any help...

DCH

Last spring I found the bearings on mine (late 70's) out of whack.....I
could not properly align the saw, each adjustment just made something else
off....I removed the motor and had a small electric motor shop repair it
(approx. $100). Most likely sometime before I had bent something by cutting
a oddball piece of wood(foolish mistake) of which had actually wrecked a
blade. The bearings on mine are epoxied in place, the shop didn't sound real
thrilled with the design but knew how to fix them well......I was told (but
didn't check) that my motor was no longer available for
replacement.......before assuming such a problem make sure the blade is true
and all saw wear/alignment adjustments have been made. Rod