Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default How to heat my garage in winter

wrote in news:1160404318.646327.169060
@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

I live in upstate NY and have an insulated 2.5 car garage. I want to
heat it with something other than electric ($$).

I am turned off by Kerosene due to the stink...even with the scents
added.

I am considering propane...I have seen protable interior propane
heatesr my mr. heat and readdy that give about 20 - 30K btu. I've
heard they are a little noisy, but my big concern is I read somewhere
that they cause lots of moisture...condensation, which would be bad for
my tools and such. I only want to use this occasionally when it I have
to fix something or work on my car. Anybody have any experiences?

My other option is to get a free old wood stove from a buddy...but that
takes up space due to being so far from the wall and then I have to buy
the chimney ($$). Thanks in advance.

I am turned off by Kerosene due to the stink...even with the scents
added.

I've had the same exact heater stink like hell as well as virtually
oderless. The wick absolutely needs to be kept clean. Burn it off
frequently. Also, the PROPER wick MUST be adjusted to the proper height
for the particular unit.

Econo kero is another possible source. If the pump doesn't say it's K-1,
don't buy it.

Drafts near the unit can make it stink too.