Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default How to heat my garage in winter

wrote:
I live in upstate NY and have an insulated 2.5 car garage. I want to
heat it with something other than electric ($$).

I am turned off by Kerosene due to the stink...even with the scents
added.

I am considering propane...I have seen protable interior propane
heatesr my mr. heat and readdy that give about 20 - 30K btu. I've
heard they are a little noisy, but my big concern is I read somewhere
that they cause lots of moisture...condensation, which would be bad for
my tools and such. I only want to use this occasionally when it I have
to fix something or work on my car. Anybody have any experiences?

I have used propane space heaters before and they are OK. If you only
use occasionally the condensation should not be a prob. Yea, they are
noisy but you get used to it. The newer ones have an integrated fan
which makes them more efficient. They also have a safety feature which
shuts the unit down if it is tipped over. The old style heaters are
still available and really put out a lot of heat but are less safe.
the big advantage of propane is that you can use a bulk tank, which is
convenient. Wood stoves make sense only when you have a ready supply
of cheap fuel.