Posted to uk.d-i-y
Slurp Slurp is offline

Default Briggs & Stratton Classic 35 (3.5bhp) runs rich...

"brush-head" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi
I've seen older threads but don't seem to relate closely to my problem.
Mower is 5 years old. Recently (few months) began running slower than
normal and lumpy or slightly erratic. Speeds up to correct speed and
no lumpiness, just before fuel runs out.
This and the fact that the plug is sooty suggest rich running.
As I've replaced the plug and checked the gap, cleaned the foam filter
and recharged with oil there is only one thing left I guess & that's
the carb.
I notice that the two springs that possibly help adjust the fuel
mixture are very "soft" ie little tension. There is a good deal of
movement from them while the engine is running lumpy but I think that
is from the semi automated way the carb is set up.
I've read that the diaphragm on this carb can be affected by holes hair
line cracks etc and that there is a kit around that replaces this.
Can anyone confirm I'm on the right or wrong track here?
Any other ideas are welcome.

You say you checked the foam filter - what about the actual air filter. Mine
occasionally clogs up with fine grass/pollen and oil mist which you can
clean out/change filter if particularly bad.

Slurp