Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE Sylvain VAN DER WALDE is offline

Default OFF TOPIC: POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD

"Clive George" wrote in message
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message

Not even "Human rights gone crazy". Do you think the situation would
have been any different say 40 years ago?

I believe that it would have been very different (I'm 71). The police and
fire brigade were more amenable, as far as I can remember.

Amenable to you sticking your nose in your neighbour's business?

You may disagree - but the fire dept told you it wasn't their problem.
Which it isn't. Environmental health maybe, but expecting the fire
brigade to be dustmen is just wrong. What next - get the ambulance round
to dig your garden?

I don't think that you've read my messages with sufficient
care/attention.
I've made it quite clear that I asked the fire brigade to get the
occupiers to remove their bags of rubbish, as I believed that they
presented a fire hazard. Something that they stated they couldn't do.
They didn't say that it wasn't their problem; just that they weren't able
to help me. It seems that you can do what you like on your own property,
_regardless_ of possible fire risk and/or health hazard.

If it was a genuine fire risk, they'd have done something - eg containers
of petrol sloshing around. Bags of rubbish left outside aren't anything
like the sort of risk they want to worry about.

I can think of rather higher risks which occur entirely normally, and
nobody tries to prevent them.

We live in a very lax and uncaring society. "Law and order" is a meaningless
phrase; and where else do you get hospitals which kill their patients
through lack of proper _basic_hygiene (I find it easier to accept paying
nearly £90.00 a month for budget medical insurance, as it means that I won't
have to go to an NHS hospital).

Who would I trust to make a decision regarding such a risk : the fire
brigade, or a nosey neighbour who's actually just using it as an excuse to
try and get rid of an eyesore?

You are trying _too hard_ to disagree with everything that I say. _I am not
a nosey neighbour_. I see that rubbish when I go through the front gate, and
when I look out of my front room window. I can't avoid seeing it.

I actually have some sympathy for your plight - it doesn't sound pleasant.

Are you being ironical? It certainly isn't a plight, by any stretch of one's
imagination. I haven't mentioned this before, but it's the gross lack of
consideration for one's neighbours that really gets to me.

However at least some of your attempts to take action have been in the
wrong place, and the fact you're still complaining that they wouldn't
listen to you indicates you still don't understand why you're wrong.

You're at it again! The people concerned _did_ listen to me, but told me
that they were unable to help me, as they didn't have the mandate/authority
to do so.

Sylvain.

Your attempts to
blame this on 'political correctness' and 'human rights' are also wildly
misplaced. It's nothing to do with your Daily Mail-type worries - it's far
simpler: there is not the justification for them to take the action you
desire.

clive