Pete & sheri

Default Q: Induction heating?

I'm not an expert, but I have been around them and I have a 5 KW machine
in my shop that is next on the list to get running.
As long as electric current runs in the material (the work), it will
get hot. The magnetic lines of force that cut through the work generate
currents in the work, just like a wire in a generator's armature
windings. These currents, in turn generate a magnetic field of their
own, creating eddy currents, etc. which heat the work.
There are lots of induction melting furnaces around, but, to the
best of my knowledge, they are not cheap, if they are modern.
However, when I went looking at used machinery dealers for small
(under 20 KW) older style vaccuum tube induction HEATING units, I was
able to find plenty of them in the $2000 to $10,000 range. Price
depends on the amount of power you need. I think that if you find a
used one, you should be able to seriously deal on it.

Pete Stanaitis

steamer wrote:

--Hey, anyone out there got an induction melting furnace? I'm
suddenly wondering if these are any good for melting aluminum, brass, etc;
i.e. do they depend on the material being melted having a magnetic field
to grab, or will nonferrous stuff melt just as well?