Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default OFF TOPIC: POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD

"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message

"Clive George" wrote in message
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in message

complaint about rubbish in neighbours garden

Why the subject line? Why do you think this is "political correctness
gone mad"? Or are you of the same opinion as me, viz anybody who uses
that phrase without their tongue in their cheek is a bit barking?

I could have said "Human rights gone crazy" I suppose, or something
similar. I was very surprised that the local authorities seemed unable to
help me sort out this matter. The fire brigade spokesman admitted that
"their hands were tied", and that people could do what they liked on their
own property, even if they caused a fire risk.

Not even "Human rights gone crazy". Do you think the situation would have
been any different say 40 years ago?

And FWIW the fire brigade are entirely the wrong people to contact about
this.

I disagree. These bags of rubbish occupy three quarters of the front
garden space, and are no more than two feet away from the front of the
house. I admit that I was prepared to do whatever I could to get rid of
this eyesore (yes, this is my main concern), but I'm quite sure that my
approaches to the local council and fire department were perfectly
_valid_.

You may disagree - but the fire dept told you it wasn't their problem. Which
it isn't. Environmental health maybe, but expecting the fire brigade to be
dustmen is just wrong. What next - get the ambulance round to dig your
garden?

clive