Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE Sylvain VAN DER WALDE is offline

Default OFF TOPIC: POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD

Hello all.

The occupiers of the next door house (it's been sold some months ago to a
property investment company, and is awaiting refurbishment) have been
leaving many bags of rubbish in the area that used to be the front garden.
I did speak to them once before about it; and also put a note through their
letter box a couple of days ago, because there was a bad smell coming from
it. Anyway, those bags of rubbish are still there.
P.S. They have a large van, and could easily take them to the nearest dump,
_as they have done previously_.

To come to the crux of the matter:

I got in touch with my local council to report a possible health hazard.
They informed me that they could do nothing, as it was a private residence,
and not a council-owned one.

So I got in touch with the fire department (fire brigade) to report a
possible fire hazard. I was informed that they could do nothing; as it was a
private residence, and the occupiers were at liberty to do as they pleased.
I suggested that they could just _advise_ these occupiers about a possible
fire risk; but no, I was told that "their hands were tied" and that they
coudn't even do that.
It was suggested that the nearest thing that could be done was to distribute
some leaflets locally, but that was unlikely to be done.
Have you tried to get your local fire depatment's phone number? I don't
think that it's listed (like the police stations).
I had to get in touch with their headquarters, in the first place.

Sylvain.