Larry Jaques

Default OT- Writer Mark Steyn ...

On 7 Jan 2004 15:55:06 -0800, jim rozen
brought forth from the murky depths:

What are my chances of dying in a crash, with another car?
Sort of high, right? Because most of what I encounter when
I drive, is other cars.

0.008% sir. Pretty low.

What are my chances of dying in
a crash, with a train as the other vehicle? Overall pretty
low - because I don't encounter many trains on the road, as
a rule.

..02%, sir. Roughly 40 times higher, Jim. chortle
But the postulate was different, comparing mortality rate
between vehicles in auto wrecks.

So it's safe to say that, overall, dying by getting in a
car/train wreck is about a percent or less of teh chance
of dying in a car/car crash for me.

Man, that's a twist. Where'd the 99%/1% figure come from,
the "Book of Thin Air Stats"?

No, your chance of dying in a train/car wreck is 40 times
higher than dying in a car/car wreck, though you are more
likely to be in a car than a train on any given day.

But, if one says, take all the folks who get in car/car
crashes, and see how many die, and compare that number
to the folks who die in car/train crashes, well - the
train always wins. I'm suprised the ratio is more
like 90 percent, rather than 40!

Actually, the percentage is lower than first expected. I
guess they include those folks who drive directly into the
_side_ of trains and survive the little thump of being thrown
a city block away.

Hmm, don't "percent" and "times" mean different things to you?
Comparing apples to oranges to tomatoes comes easily to y'all,
don't she, Jim? rolls eyes, groans loudly, and grins

I do see what you mean but it wasn't what we were talking about.

Never put off 'til tomorrow | http://www.diversify.com
what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications