Cordless Crazy Cordless Crazy is offline
Senior Member

Question Voltage earthing through dishwasher casing/door

Found out earlier that when I plug my new Bosch dishwasher into a short extention lead (one without and earth wire for some reason (after investigating)) there is some residual voltage running through the casing/metal door lining. Upon touching the door I got a small shock (bit like and electric fence).

Checked it out and it seems to be of the figure of 50v running between the door and the floor i.e. with me acting as an earth!!

Bit more than I expected for residual voltage, as you would get with most appliances.

Once plugged in to the normal ring main and not with the crappy ext lead (that which is now confined to the shed as spare parts) the residual voltage reading drops to zero (as expected) as the integral earth wire is taking it away.

My question is: does this sound right or is the appliance faulty?