Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Waterproofing concrete tile roof with Elastomeric paint

"shawn" wrote in message
ups.com...
Living in florida, same setup concrete block house, older tile roof.
I'm of the mind if it aint broke dont fix it, paint it once you'll
always be painting it. I look at this way, my roof is 15 years old, the
original glazing which was baked on was baked off by the florida sun a
long time ago. I would seriously doubt painting or sealing which I also
considered would last more than a few years...figure baked on original
coating maybe lasted 10 years, surely any other wont last but 5 years
maybe which then will have to have it done again.

I've decided with these tile roofs its best to leave them alone,
depending on how the tiles are put up there (sometimes they're nailed,
sometimes held with a blob of morter) if morter, the more you're up
there the more you're going to loosen them and the more that will want
to slide down from vibrations,etc from storms, thunder, hurricanes,
etc.

When I redid my house I contemplated coating the roof as it was pretty
dirty. I decided against painting because I just dont see it lasting
more than a few years. I had it pressured washed and wish I hadn't even
did that, broke, loose tiles,etc. Anyways after pressure washing it it
looked good, I thought about sealing it with concrete sealer because
with the glazing gone all of the tiles are just dirt magnets since its
open pore concrete now, but I doubted that stuff would last 1 summer so
I didn't bother.

Though....my roof is the red stuff. White would drive me nuts, red when
it gets dirty looks like dirty red, white just looks dirty...but
doesn't absorb the heat as much.

My neighbor had his tile painted or coated after a partial replacement
and it looks good. But I coat my pool deck (some type of acrylic
modified cement kooldeck stuff) with a concrete stain...its birdcaged
in from full sun exposure but with the heavy rains and sun it doesn't
last more than 2 seasons before I have to recoat it again. I could be
wrong, but I just dont see this kinda of stuff lasting ..

-shawn

I would like to leave it alone, but the grey + white color is too distinct
and it look bad. I have to do something...I wonder if I should use concrete
stain or Elastomeric waterproofing paint.

Thanks,

MC