Posted to rec.woodworking
boorite boorite is offline

Default What type of Polyurethane for covering kitchen butcher block counter?

blueman wrote:
I intend to resurface our kitchen butcher block counter.

Since we don't tend to use it for direct food preparation or chopping,
I am leaning towards polyurethaning it rather than coating it with oil
or beeswax. My thinking is that since I won't be chopping on it,
polyurethane will lead to a longer lasting surface without the need
for regular recoating.

I am looking for a surface that is the most durable and will show the
least wear-and-tear while still being safe for food surfaces.

The toughest thing I've seen used on this kind of surface is a two-part
epoxy coating that you pour on. Don't know if it would suit you, but
it's like encasing the whole countertop in Lucite. Talk about durable.

If not, then I'd go for an acrylic lacquer or catalyzed lacquer. Very
tough.