Posted to uk.d-i-y
John White John White is offline

Default wiring downlights

bob wrote:

there are some main circuit cables (looks like 3 core and earth)
running above the downlights through the joists. They are not
touching the lamp but are close enough to concern me, what termperature
is this PVC outer sheeth of this cable typically rated to?

The current carrying capacity of PVC cable is usually specified at 70
Degrees C.

Push the other wires as far away from the downlighters as possible.
You can usually find enough slack to do this.

Make sure that the downlighters are far enough away from the joists
too. This is typically 75 mm but check the installation instructions.

You should really have checked for other wires before you cut the
holes, and repositioned the downlighter accordingly. But of course you
realise this now. :-(

I notive the wires which go to the lampholder have a fabric like
sheeth, is this rated to higher temperature than PVC outer sheeth of
2/3 core and earth cable.

Yes - much higher.

And finally, is it ok to use green/yellow electrical tape to cover the
"supply cpc" or must I use sleeving complying with BS 2848 to meet Reg.
543-03-02, as indicated by this post http://tinyurl.com/zuu8y.

You need to use sleeving, as tape can fall off after a while.

John
--
John White,
Electrical Contractor