jim rozen

Default OT- Writer Mark Steyn ...

In article , Larry Jaques says...

On 7 Jan 2004 12:39:10 -0800, jim rozen
brought forth from the murky depths:

Because train/car wrecks are so infrequent, the second
number is very low. But if you look at the fatality rate
for train crashes vs other car crashes, of course the train one
will be much much higher. I thought gunner was
implying that the first type of comparison was large - which
it isn't.

Hmmm, I'm feeling a little PSA here. I think that one went over
my head. (You lost me there.)

What are my chances of dying in a crash, with another car?
Sort of high, right? Because most of what I encounter when
I drive, is other cars. What are my chances of dying in
a crash, with a train as the other vehicle? Overall pretty
low - because I don't encounter many trains on the road, as
a rule.

So it's safe to say that, overall, dying by getting in a
car/train wreck is about a percent or less of teh chance
of dying in a car/car crash for me.

But, if one says, take all the folks who get in car/car
crashes, and see how many die, and compare that number
to the folks who die in car/train crashes, well - the
train always wins. I'm suprised the ratio is more
like 90 percent, rather than 40!

Jim

please reply to: