Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default CB linear amplifier type

wrote:

I know it's illegal to use an amplifier on a CB radio. I am just
trying to find out this information.

CB is the 11 meter band. With amplifiers being illegal to use on a
CB, it seems that advertising and selling 11 meter amplifiers could
tend to get someone in trouble. However, I was listening to a guy on
the CB and he said he was a trucker and was using a 10 meter
amplifier. I tend not to believe what I hear on the CB but this guy
was definately running some sort of power amp, because he was burying
my needle for many miles, and going opposite directions.

Is it possible to use a 10 meter amp on a CB? Does it need
modifications? (what?), or not?

One other thing. I understand that increasing a 4watt CB to say 10
watts is actually an insignificant gain, but going to 40 watts doubles
the power. How can a 10X increase only double the power? Wouldn't it
be 10 times as much? I dont understand this.
Just curious....

Thanks

Paul

if memory serves, you need to increase your output power 4 times to
each time you want to double your output effect of something like
that.
this means that 4 to 10..12 watts does work nicely in the effect
how ever, to get a noticeable increase from there, you need 50 watts,
then 200, 800 etc...
-- as far as 10 meter amps working on 11 meters? that is true/../
most 10 meter amps are push pull xformer output types and get
very broad banded. they even go down much lower than 11 meters with
no retuning needed how ever, they tend to generate some harmonics
that can raise hell with commercial gear..

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5