Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default shower pump installation - anti gravity loop

Kevin wrote:

The exact pump location does not really change the requirements for the
tank connection. The pump instructions normally give a range of
connection options that start with a dedicated essex flange as the most
deireable, to using the existing top connection as the least. Having
saif that in the right circumstances using the existing top connection
can work fine.

Thanks John. I've re-read the instructions again. The Essex flange
with the anti-gravity loop is compulsory if the pump is fitted above
the outlet from the hot water cylinder. If the pump is fitted below

The antigravity loop I can understand being a requirement. However the
choice of flange less so. An Essex flange is a good way to do it
certainly, but not the only way - even with the pump above the cylinder
(but still below the head of the cold tank feeding it)

the outlet then I can use any other approved top entry flange. These
include the Salamander (S) Flange, York Flange and Warix Flange. I
thought I had also read Surrey flange but I may be mistaking this with
the S flange.

Surrey and Warwix flanges are pretty similar - I would have no
hesitation using either.

I figured it would be easier to use one of the approved
top-connection flanges rather than trying to drill a hole in the side
of the cylinder and the associated difficulties of fitting it.

Indeed. I have done one before just using the standard output and it
worked fine. However that was with an optimal setup with the cold
cistern in the loft almost directly above, with a clear run of 22mm
swept bend pipework to the cylinder. It was also only using a 1.4 bar
pump, had it have been more I may not have tried it! (I also had the
option of making up a surrey flange should it prove to not work as well
as hoped)

--
Cheers,

John.