Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] calerner@hotmail.com is offline

Default Portable drill press/guide vs. Real drill press?

I don't know if I agree with the good quality portable vs low end fixed
argument. I have a $99 8" Craftsman bench top drill press - probably
about as low end as they get and it is very useful and accurate (at
least for what I've done). Someone once wrote (I think on this
newsgroup) that drill presses are really metal working machines so even
the cheapest ones do well with wood. Also, I had one of those drill
guides and it was pretty bad (maybe I had a really cheap one of those
too) and I eventually threw it out.

Anyway, I would definitely get the drill press if you have the room -
even if you can only get the cheapest ones.

Charles Lerner

blueman wrote:
I am considering buying a portable drill press/guide (rather than a
benchtiop or standalone drill press) for the following
reasons:
- Don't really have the room for another big tool
- I often need to drill things outside of my shop or that are already
attached tto the house
- A portable drill press can do most of the basics that I need to do
(e.g., accurate, straight drilling)
- Cheaper (and would rather get good quality portable than low end
fixed drill press)

Questions:
- Does my thinking seem right?
- What are some good brands and models to consider?
(I don't want to "waste" money on a tool that is either hard-to-use,
hard-to-setup, flimsy, or innacurate)

Any other insights welecome!
Thanks