Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Fridge Door Doesn't Shut Properly

wrote in news:1157585425.765785.12380
@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

I have an Amana side by side fridge - freezer unit. It is about 9
years
old.

The fridge door doesn't shut very well, and needs to be pushed shut to
get a
tight seal. (It used to self shut quite nicely.)

What (other than age) causes this and can it easily be remedied, or is
this
a sign that's it's time?

Ian

I assume the gasket is in good shape. Not crushed, torn or dried out in
areas. The magnets in the gasket should pull the gasket and make it
expand as it approached the frig frame. If has dry areas, it won't
expand/seal.

Another possibility is the door is twisted.

Assuming freezer on left and hinges on the left side of that door, is it
not sealing at the upper or lower corner on the handle side? I've seen
repair people just grab the two corners on the and give it a good twist
as the some doors are made to flex (or just plain cheap). I tried it
once. It worked.

Disclaimer: Yours may not be designed for this. You could #%*@ it up
worse or crack something.