Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com is offline

Default Black & Decker charger repair

Rich256 wrote:

I have a Black & Decker PS160 charger - 12V. It stopped working, so I
opened it up to have a look. There are only 2 resistors in these
things. One of the two resistors has blown, probably because I left the
unit plugged in for too long and ruined one of my batteries.

If you bought the original with a credit card, it's possible the
original warranty was extended by an extra year. Or can you buy a B&D
tool that uses an identical charger and look at it?

If a resistor blew, I would expect the power transistor or triac
associated with it to have blown as well. I hope it's a discrete part
and not built into an IC.

Those chargers usually don't use transistors or traics. Just a
transformer, diode bridge and sometimes a dropping resistor.

I admit I've never seen the inside of a B&D charger, only DeWalt and
Ryobi units, but unless the battery pack contains some extra circuitry,
which I doubt it does, being a budget brand, a fast charger built like
that will be rough on the batteries.