Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default UK wiring diagrams domestic

On 2006-09-03 18:59:11 +0100, said:

Hello all, does anyone know where I can get some clear wiring diagrams
for a two way switch on a lighting circuit.
I am building an extension and am going to do the first fix myself (
which i beleive i am allowed to do?) and then get someone part P to do
the rest as its a kitchen.

You can do all of it provided that it is included in the scope for the
building control application and is inspected afterwards. You are
having to pay for this anyway, so you might as well make the most of it
and DIY the work.

The ring mains will be no issue and the single lighting cct for
upstairs will be no issue.

what i am uncertain of is i need to switch one light in the kitchen
from two locations and another light from just one. I know i'll need a
2G two way switch on one side and a 1G two way on't tother its just the

wiring inbetween em thats a bit flummoxing!!! I'm no lemon ( electronic

engineering) but havent done any domestic installations before.
I take it i will need three and earth between the 2 way switch and
then use the other switch for switching the "one location" light

dunno if I'm making sense!!!

There are several different ways to do this depending on how you want
the wiring to run.

The most common is to run the lighting circuit between the ceiling
fittings and to run a twin+earth cable to the switch.

However, for this case, another option is to run a three way plus earth
to the 2G switch from the first light fitting and carry neutral as
well. Wire the unswitched live to the common of both switches. Run
another three way plus earth to the second 1G 2way switch carrying the
two connectiions from the 2W switch plus neutral. Then connect the two
switched connections to this switch. The common of this second switch
will now form the switched live to the light fitting and you can carry
through the neutral and earth.

also does anyone know the regs required for depth of channels in walls
for cables and also what is required in the way of conduit/covers for
the cables in the channels?

You can avoid this issue completely by adhering to some cable routing rules.

- Cables may be run vertically or horizontally from a wiring accesory
(e.g. switch).

- Cables may also be run in a 150mm wide band from the corner of a
room, the top of a wall but not the bottom of a wall (i.e. not behind
skirtings.

Thanks in advance