Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Freezer operation at low ambient temperatures?

Vortex wrote:
Hi,

We have a 10-ish year old Zanussi Freezer which we would like to
relocate outside (under shelter but open-air...and therefore
susceptible to low temperatures from time to time.).

The manual states: "If the room temperature falls below freezing
point the freezer will not function as it should".

Can anybody explain the above statement in more detail, please? I
really do not understand why a modern freezer shouldn't work when
outside.
Thanks,

David

We've got a 35 yar old Electrolux chest freezer, it spent it's first 10
years in the house, then 12 years in an outside (brick) shed, we moved house
and was going to bin it but decided at the last minute to 'run it into the
ground', IE keep it until it fell apart, it's been in this shed for the last
13 years and is still going strong, obviously the lid has had to be painted
with white gloss paint a few times, but I can't say it's ever 'not funtioned
properly', neither in the depths of winter nor in the recent heatwave (or
the one in '76!)