Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default General advice sought on gravelling a garden

wrote:
Hi list!

I'm interested in putting gravel down to replace the grass in my small
front garden, mostly to reduce maintenance (terrace house, so to mow
it I have to drag the mower through the house). Would I be right in
saying the job is roughly:

1) dig out existing topsoil down six inches or so
2) lay impermeable plastic layer to kill weeds
3) get gravel delivered from local builders yard
4) haul gravel up onto garden (it's about 2 feet above ground level,
so I think this necessitates a 'barrow and has to be done by hand) and
spread it out with a rake.

The garden is quite small -- about 12ftx8ft, or thereabouts. The guy
in the local builder's yard reckoned a half-ton of chippings, quite
chunky ones (10-15mm or so, by eye). Does the amount seem about right
to everyone?

What about compacting, either the earth underneath or the gravel once
laid? This garden won't be walked on often or driven on, so is
compaction necessary?

Finally, costs. Seems like the DIY approach will be pretty cheap -- a
decent shovel and barrow, £10 or so for the impermeable layer, and
about £35 for the chippings. Have I missed something off the list? And
does anyone have any idea roughly what it would be cost to have the
job done by a professional? I've rung a half-dozen firms but none of
them are answering the phone.

Any help greatfully received!

No barrier will stop weeds because they grow from the top down not from
underneath, that is to say, seeds blow in and are delivered by birds and
take root, there will be enough dust, dead leaves and other debris under the
gravel for them to survive easily unless you use pathclear every 6 months,
in which case you don't need a weed barrier.

6 inches is way too deep, and if you do choose to go 6 inches, you will
require almost 2 tonnes (1 tonne covers 10m2 @ 4 inch deep)

Aside from the problems of gravel mixing with surrounding soil, or soil
coming up through the gravel, you seem to be making an awful lot of work
just to get rid of a bit of lawn, why not just lay paving flags over it and
put some planters on it? - as others have said, you will need a skip to get
rid of the soil (£120), 2 tonnes of whatever (£60) plus delivery.
If you lay flags on it you only need to remove the turf (about 2 inches
deep), these can be composted or someone may take them away if they want
them...
Twenty-four 2X2ft flags @ £3 each = £72, plus a few bags of sand and cement
at about £10, it should be finished in less than two days (DIY) and you'll
have a solid surface for walking on, putting ladders on etc and it's easily
kept clean.