Posted to rec.woodworking
bob bob is offline

Default Minwax wipe-on poly

Thanks for the replies. What I've ended up using is Deftoil tung-poly
finish, and the results on the cherry are absolutely stunning.
I also did a little ad hoc experiment on the weekend. I applied several
differnet oils (tung, tung-poly, linseed, tung-teak) to a bunch of different
pieces of cherry I'm using for the kitchen island. There was a slab of
cherry veneer 3/4 ply, 1/4 ply, and a couple of solid planks of sapwood and
heartwood. I applied the same set of oils to each board, and left them out
in the sun all day, each one half covered.
The results were quite striking, even for just one day of sunlight. I may
post photos when I get a chance. I knew the bare wood would darken, but was
more curious to see how the oiled parts darkened.
People often don't want to "wait" for cherry, but really, you don't have to
wait long.

--
Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:35:35 -0400, "bob" wrote:

Has anyone here tried this stuff on cherry? Good results?

I've used it on cherry bowls and liked the result.... more "hand rubbed"

look
and less like plastic coated..

It darkens the cherry a bit, but most folks like that and season it to

make it
darker..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis