Posted to rec.woodworking
bob bob is offline

Default Minwax wipe-on poly

"RonB" wrote in message
news:k6GHg.104804$LF4.14883@dukeread05...

"bob" wrote in message
Has anyone here tried this stuff on cherry? Good results?

Not on cherry yet. I have used it on top of Minwax stain on Oak, Walnut

and
Maple with very nice results. I have also applied it to seal up Baltic
Birch plywood with good results.

It takes longer to build up than brushed poly. If you are used to

brushing
two coats of poly, plan on about four coats of the wiping poly. Good news
is that it drys fairly quickly (2-3 hours in low humidity). Otherwise
pretty much the same process as brush or spray. I usually apply a couple

of
light coats without sanding and then sand lightly between coats. The

wiping
pretty well does away with bubble, streak and sag problems; but you still
have to knock some dust loose.

All experince is with the semi-gloss. However if you want to add slightly
more gloss on the last coat or two, try not shaking the can and pour
lightly. It keeps the dulling agent from suspending and (I think) it adds

little gloss.

Good Luck
RonB

Thanks. Looking back through usenet archives, there seems to be the
suggestion that it contains oil as well, but there is no mention of this on
the Minwax website. I was planning to oil the cherry first, but if the stuff
already has oil in it, I can skip the step. I'll prolly just buy some and do
a few tests.

--
Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos