Stan Schaefer

Default how to sharpen mini dike cutters, nipper cutters?

(Beecrofter) wrote in message . com...
(Alan Horowitz) wrote in message . com...
how to sharpen the mini dike cutters and nipper cutters used in
electrical & electronic work?

They're too small to handle with jigs, and the blades don't even open
very widely. Yet, their utility is directly proportional to how
recently they've been sharpened/honed.

I sharpen for a living.
My advice is to do them by hand with a diamond file such as an ez-lap
Grinding takes off too much material too quickly and you never get
them to meet just right.

This is exactly the way I do mine when I need to. The little stamped
flush-cutters are iffy for resharpening, my larger ones I've done a
couple of times. I've inherited a bunch of large side-cutters that I
use for rough work(big wire, not PC boards), they're Kleins and they
really aren't worth trying to sharpen. A diamond hone cuts fast
enough on the smaller ones. You just have to have an eye(and hand) to
get the angles right.

Stan