Posted to rec.woodworking
bob bob is offline

Default How To Make Radiator Cover

I had to build one, or more correctly "incorporate one", a while ago when I
designed a built-in wall unit for the livingroom. There was a raciator right
smack in the middle of the wall. I built around it, leaving lots of space
for access - it's one of those modern, low radiators with the flip-up sheet
metal cover, as opposed to a tall cast one. I mulled over the grille for a
while, and though I love the look of the old wood covers and thought of ways
to make a nice grille, I opted for something a bit different. The local
hardware store sells aluminium grilles in 2' x 3' sheets, with a variety of
nice looking cutout patterens. I built a wood frame and mounted the grille
onto it. With a few squares of strong Velcro, I can now pull the frame off
the built-in very easily in order to access the rad for yearly bleeding. As
a fringe benefit, the space is wide enough to store a big telescope tripod
in, nice and close to the door to the back deck. I lined the top of the
cavity with foil-covered bubble wrap because the stereo is directly above
the radiator, and lo and behold, even in mid winter, the cabinet holding the
stereo isn't even a bit warm.

--
Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

"Clair" wrote in message

Hi
Ive Bought a thin piece of hardwood but im unsure as to wether the wood
is ok to put over a radiator and also i want to cut out a design in the
wood , ive got a dremel with loads of bits i was wondering if anyone
could give me any tips (im totally new to D.I.Y but im desperate to
start doing things myself
thanks

--
Clair